Sunday, March 29, 2015

Bigfoot Preschool Story Time


I apologize greatly for the long hiatus in posts.  Things are busy, and blogging sadly fell by the wayside.  But I'm trying to be better, I promise.  And I'm starting with this super fun Sasquatch (Bigfoot?  Yeti?) themed story time!  What better theme for here in the lovely Pacific Northwest?

Opening Song:  Open Them Shut Them (Click here for the link to my version!)

Opening Nursery Rhyme: Hickory Dickory Dock

Opening Activity: Before we start reading books about Bigfeet, I thought it might be a good idea to introduce kids who might not know -- what a Bigfoot IS!  And all the fun names there are to call a Bigfoot!  I'm going to put an illustration of Bigfoot from our first book (laminated, with felt on the back) on the flannel board, and also print out a bunch of brightly colored images of synonyms for Bigfoot!  Y'know...Sasquatch, Yeti, Abominable Snowman, etc.  I'll have the kids practice saying all those SUPER FUN to say long words, and maybe we'll clap out the number of syllables in each word to work on phonemic awareness!  


Book #1: The Boy Who Cried Bigfoot! by Scott Magoon

This wasn't my FAVORITE story time -- it's always tricky when there's a combo of narration and comic-book-like dialogue.  I did like having conversations with the kids about whether or not the little boy was telling the truth, and how we knew.  The pictures have lots to talk about!








Action Song/Rhyme: My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean


This is a fun song/rhyme game for letter/sound recognition!  Basically, everyone sings the traditional folk song "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean", and then either stands up or sits down every time you hear the "B" sound.  So it goes like this:


My Bonnie (stand up) lies over the ocean
My Bonnie (sit down) lies over the sea
My Bonnie (stand up) lies over the ocean
So bring (sit down) back (stand up) my Bonnie (sit down) to me!
Bring (sit down) back (stand up), Bring (sit down) back (stand up)
Oh bring (stand up) back (sit down) my Bonnie (stand up) to me, to me!
Bring (sit down) back (stand up), bring (sit down) back (stand up)
Oh bring (sit down) back (stand up) my Bonnie (sit down) to me!

It's really hard, and the parents have trouble doing it too, so it's fun to watch the kids giggle at the difficult time their parents are having.  I learned this one from the amazing Jim Gill, who includes this song on his CD "Jim Gill Sings Do Re Me on his Toe Leg Knee"!


Book #2: Don't Squish the Sasquatch! by Kent Redeker


This was a fun one.  There are a bunch of weird looking creatures, and it was fun to have the kids guess what the creatures are by looking at the clues in the pictures.  I also had the kids repeat the title refrain every time I pointed at the book.  Don't Squish the Sasquatch!!!







Action Rhyme: There's a Spider on the Floor

Spiders are scary, kinda like Sasquatches, right?  Sometimes fitting the theme is a reach, but no one seems to care except me :)




Book #3: Yeti, Turn Out the Light! by Greg Long & Edmundson


I love books that have guessing games built into them.  In this book, various woodland creatures create terrifying-looking silhouettes that keep the Yeti from being able to sleep.  Kids get to look at the scary silhouette, and guess what might actually be creating it!  Usually it's something adorable and fuzzy like a baby deer and some birds. 






Closing Rhyme: Tickle the Clouds


Tickle the clouds
Tickle your toes
Turn around
Tickle your nose!
Reach for the ground
Reach up high!
Story time is over,
Wave goodbye!


I got this rhyme from this awesome Jbrary video: Jbrary Goodbye Songs

--Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment